Friday, August 24, 2012

Tembin Update


A pretty anti-climactic typhoon if you ask me.  Tembin made an unexpected turn south and Taipei has barely felt a sprinkle from the storm.  I guess I didn't need to run to the grocery store and stock up on weird Taiwanese emergency snack food (Almond slivers with whole dried fish is my favorite).

I might not have to wait long to experience a typhoon since Bolaven is right behind Tembin. It looks like that storm will pass by the north of the island, but I've learned that these predictions change hourly.



Despite my enthusiasm for experiencing this powerful weather phenomenon, I do take the typhoons seriously and I wish the best for all those affected.  So far, there have been no fatalities, just lots and lots of rain.  Let's hope that holds true through tomorrow.

1 comment:

alcaniglia said...

I have to admit that I had all of the same feelings towards getting a Hurricane in Belize. I had honestly always downplayed hurricanes figuring that any storm that gives you five days warning can't be that bad. Then, I experienced a hurricane and it is a mighty beast. A weakened category 1 storm awed me when it passed over Belmopan. It pushed a giant tree onto my house that would have crushed me if not for the strength of the walls (thank god for concrete houses).

Anyway, I hope you get to experience one (because it is kind of neat), but just hope its so mild that all the natives scoff at you for being worried.