Monday, August 27, 2012

Tembin Double-Take


Guess I spoke too soon about ol’ Tembin.  Making a move that I thought impossible, the typhoon is turning around!  It was headed right for the mainland, but then did a little spiral and is headed right back to Taiwan.  Apparently this is due to typhoon Bolaven, which is right behind Tembin and large enough to exert an influence on Tembin’s path.



Just yesterday I was joking with Jess about how boring our typhoon experience proved to be.  I’m pretty sure that Tembin got wind of my smart-aleck comment and turned completely around to show this stupid Midwesterner what a Pacific Typhoon can do. 

In all seriousness, this could prove disastrous to Southern Taiwan, which just experienced extremely heavy rainfall from Tembin the first time around.  Another deluge could bring more flooding and mudslides.  The rainfall from Tembin broke 100 year records in Taiwan with 600mm of rain (23 inches!).



I know that the US is also bracing for a major hurricane – my thoughts are with those in Taiwan and in New Orleans.  This proves that it doesn’t matter where in the world you are, mother nature is always boss.   

No comments: