Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ni Hao Tembin!



While guiltily getting a TV news fix yesterday in the hotel, CNN International was displaying a big map of Taiwan with two very mean red icons heading right for the island. Although I knew that it was Typhoon season, I have to admit that this caught us off-guard a little.  I’ve never lived in hurricane country before (Typhoons are exactly the same weather pattern as hurricanes, they just get a different name in the Pacific) so preparing for the event is new to me.  Of course I don’t want anyone to get injured or anyone’s property to be damaged, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little excited about the whole thing.  



My lack of worry stems from the fact that we are moved into our apartment which in a very stable new building.  All structures in Taiwan are built with typhoons and earthquakes in mind, so I don’t forsee anything catastrophic.  The biggest concern seems to be flooding, but we are on the 5th floor, so I think we are in the clear.

I’ll find out more tomorrow afternoon when Tembin is forecasted to make landfall.  The center is supposed to be south of Taipei, so we won’t feel the worst of the storm.  It looks like it will be a good day to hunker down with noodles and tea, watching what we can through our window.  I’ll be sure to let everyone know we’re OK after it passes through. Now it is time to go to the market and stock up!

No comments: