Monday, August 11, 2008

Wabun, Wabun, Wabun!


I just left the beauty of the great north, having spent five days at the Lewis family's camp - Wabun www.wabun.com. This was the 76th season that Wabun has taken 10 - 18 year olds into the Canadian North on wilderness canoe trips. The location of the camp could not be better - a beautiful island in the middle of Temagami Lake in Northern Ontario. The camp was started by Jessica's great grandfather, so there is a great deal of tradition and history on the island. Honestly, it was all a little overwhelming for an outsider such as myself (lots of cheering, insider lingo, and traditions), but I enjoyed my stay and everyone was very friendly.



I was present for the "paddle in", during which all of the campers paddle their canoes onto a beach full of parents and friends ready to receive their loved ones after 6 weeks in the wilderness. It was striking how healthy and fit the campers and staff were on their return, I wish I had the opportunity to participate in such a camp during my youth as it undoubtedly builds confidence, strength and self-reliance.


I was able to spend most of my time relaxing on the lake - eating, kayaking, napping, fishing, eating, swimming, and more eating. I met lots of Jess' family and friends, all of whom were kind and friendly despite my total lack of canoeing knowledge or experience :-) It was interesting to view the camp from the outside because over the past six years I have worked or volunteered at 10 different summer camps across the country. Without exception, the camps I have worked at have served either people with disabilities or at-risk youth, so observing a camp for the general population was very interesting.

Sorry for the total lack of pictures, I didn’t pull my camera out at all during my time at Wabun. I promise I will get better at picture taking once I get overseas! The photo above is from the Wabun website - there are lots more so check it out and who knows, maybe you know someone who would like to spend six weeks in the beautiful Canadian wilderness . . . .


1 comment:

Ken said...

Wabun sounds awsome! I know you had a great time! We should all have a chance to do something like that! Have a safe trip home!