Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Charms of Lincoln County

I have been in Silex the past week trying to soak up as much of my home as I can before I leave. Sometimes I laugh at myself for wanting to leave in order to work on a farm and get closer to nature when there are plenty of farms and much natural beauty all around Missouri. However, driving a combine around hundreds of acres of corn and soybeans does not fit with my goal of "farming". I hope to learn more about the connection between the environment in which I live and the food that I eat. Unfortunately agriculture in the midwest is more industrial - using the land as a resources which can be manipulated to produce a commodity that will not be consumed by the local community. I guess by midwestern standards what I will be doing overseas is closer to "gardening" than "farming", which is OK with me.


Although the area's farming hasn't tempted me to stick around, the area's natural beauty is becoming more apparent as my departure nears. I have been lucky enough to notice Missouri's charms while boating in Mark Twain Lake, hiking around my grandmother's land, and fishing for catfish while watching the sunset with my friends. It helps that the weather has been perfect since I have been home; sunny skies, low humidity and a high near 80 degrees! Is this really Missouri in August?!?

I have also had many opportunities to reconnect with family and friends. I hosted an informal 6 year high school reunion BBQ at my Mom's house that turned out to be way more fun than I expected. Just take a look at the picture, it says it all. It may look like poor attendance, but in a class of less than 30 about half showed up; this picture is the crew at 1:00 A.M. It was great to see so many old friends and find out what they are doing with their lives - a lot of wedding rings and a few little ones too (luckily they went to bed before this picture was taken). I officially resigned as class president because my traveling makes it difficult to plan anything substantial. Besides, I think it is safe to say that our ten year reunion will be a more formal and calm affair . . . but you never know with the Class of '02.

I have a few more days to enjoy Missouri and spend some time with my college friends in Columbia. On Sunday I pack my bags one more time and drive to upstate New York with my Dad and Uncle Ken to spend time fishing with my Uncle Steve and Judy. It is all going by very fast, but time flies when you're having fun. I shouldn't end a post with a cheesy line like that, but so be it.









No comments: