Saturday, March 2, 2013

Lukin Murphy, BCBA

I’m finally beginning to internalize it.  I’m done – finished – certified for life.  The process towards BCBA certification took almost three years of coursework, fieldwork, and exam preparation, so I can barely remember a time when I didn't need to be studying or reading.  It was the omnipresent “to do” item.  Marking it off the list, permanently, feels amazing.

That being said, certification comes with a lot of responsibility.  I need to maintain my credential with 16 continuing education credits per year, stay up-to-date on all the research literature, and attend regional and national conferences.  Some of this is optional, but Applied Behavior Analysis is a rapidly changing field and it is easy to get left in the dust if you don’t keep up to date. 

Of course the credential doesn't do me much good without a job, so that is my next big “to do” item.  I’m hoping to find a meaningful and rewarding position in Columbia, Missouri, if possible.  Since my experience is in public schools, that is most likely where I will land.  There are a great many private organizations that offer ABA therapy in Missouri thanks to the autism insurance mandate, so the job market is healthy for BCBAs.   Or so I’m told.  

Before I start worrying about getting a job, I’m going take some time here in Taipei to bask in the victory.  I deserve a short rest after jumping through three years’ worth of hoops for four little letters.  

1 comment:

Paul said...

Congratulations! Must feel good to be finally done with all that. I'm sure it will prove itself all worthwhile in the future.