Saturday, January 5, 2013

Why ABA?

As I face one more month of studying for an exam that has required almost two years of coursework, supervision, and study, I think it is a good time to remind myself why I choose to pursue a credential in the field of applied behavior analysis. The answer that jumps to mind is that I needed the skills and knowledge to be an effective Special Education teacher. ­­My Special Education training in Texas was . . . sparse, to put it mildly.  Students with profound disabilities such as autism, require specialized curriculum, environment, and teaching techniques that are often very different than what is found in a regular education setting.  Special Education is so broad – including students with math learning disabilities to emotional disturbance to Downs Syndrome – that it is not a useful category when it comes to teacher training and certification.  I didn’t know much when I started teaching, but I did know that I needed to learn a lot more in order to effectively teach my unique students.

There are several different methodologies for teaching students with disabilities, but Applied Behavior Analysis appealed to me for several reasons:

Scientific – I have always had a strong personal interest in the methodology of science.  To me, science is the only way to search for truth about the world.  If I could name the number one contribution that our civilization has made to the history of humanity, it would be the development of the scientific method.  Just look around you – the computer you are using, the lights above your head, and the medicine that you take area all the result of the rigorous application of science.  The foundation of ABA, radical behaviorism, is science based.  Not only does ABA strictly operate within the scientific method, but it is structured like a natural science (physics, chemistry, biology), not a social science (psychology, sociology, anthropology). This makes ABA unique – using the power of the natural sciences to work towards social goals.

Universal – We are all on the autism spectrum.  You and I may be at the far end of the spectrum that is considered normal, while most of my students were at the other end, but people labeled with autism are not fundamentally different.  I have a number of autistic traits (need for routine, ritualistic behavior, difficulty understanding social cues) and can relate with many of my students with autism.  If a teaching methodology is truly powerful, then it should be effective with everyone, not just students with autism or another diagnosis. Applied Behavior Analysis was not developed for students with autism, it was developed for everyone.  The techniques and strategies derived from ABA are equally effective in a general education classroom, a factory assembly line, a company office, and a Life Skills classroom. ABA not only works with people of all ages and intellects, but it works with all animal species. The principles of behaviorism were originally developed by B.F. Skinner and others in laboratories using rats and pigeons.  Those same principles of behavior are applicable to humans and other animals such as dogs and cats.  Dog trainers use ABA, as well as dolphin and killer whale trainers at Sea World.  To me this demonstrates that behavioral techniques work on a powerful and fundamental level.

Useful – One in eighty-eight children are currently being diagnosed with autism in the US.  This “epidemic” has caught the education system and social service system off-guard.  Regardless of whether it is an increase in incidence or diagnosis (I’m staying out of that debate), there are a lot of children who need some extra services in order to function in society. The techniques and strategies derived from ABA have been empirically proven to help students with autism to increase their level of independent functioning in a wide range of areas. Unfortunately, there is a dearth of ABA practitioners available in many areas and students are not receiving the level of care that they deserve.  To fill this gap, a host of pseudo-scientific methods for “treating” autism have popped us – such as radical diet change, mega-doses of vitamins, and hyperbolic chambers.  These methods are not only ineffective, but they give families false hope that their child’s autism can be “cured” with a simple treatment.  Perhaps a cure may one day be available, but right now the best treatment for autism is systematically teaching them skills and language through behavioral training. 

I’m genuinely excited about the things I can do with the letters BCBA after my name.  As a career move, it gives me a great deal of flexibility and mobility.  More importantly, it will give me the authority and knowledge to improve the quality of education for students with disabilities.  Teachers need all the help they can get - I know first-hand.  

No comments: