Sunday, July 20, 2008

The transition begins.

So Jess left two days ago, my family left yesterday with my cat, and I've spent most of the day tearing up the apartment. Needless to say it has been an emotional Sunday. Thankfully my friend Cameron came over last night for the Montana Wild Game Meat Feast of 2008: many pounds of duck and deer kebabs. Today we had to hike Mt. Sentinal to work off the epic meal.

The act of throwing away or donating 90% of my "stuff" has been a difficult but rewarding experience. I realize I don't need most of what I've accumulated over the years, but each object has many memories and associations attached to it. For example - I know I don't need 6 T-Shirts (that don't even fit), from various summer camps, but I feel like throwing them away will further remove me from the memories of the camps. Slowly but surely I am making progress on the disassembly of the apartment. Once it is all over and I am on the road heading for Jess at Wabun, I will finally feel the freedom and reward that I am working towards. Until then, more packing, cleaning and packing some more.

Two more weeks of work, and I'm off to Ontario!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Packing sucks. Ef packing.

Ari said...

Lukin! This is all so exciting. I'll definitely be reading so post often. Your adventures are gonna be so cool and hopefully rewarding.

Take care!

laura c. said...

Holy crap you make me feel lazy!
But don't worry the cornstalk planet is in good hands. He will enjoy the summer on the front porch!